- This event has passed.
Ecological Civilization and Holistic Human Development
April 19 - April 20
13th International Forum on Ecological Civilization
2nd International Youth Forum on Ecological Civilization
As a positive vision of human flourishing, ecological civilization is about more than what we can do, it involves who we can become. It’s not merely about having more or doing more, but about being more. Being an “eco-person” speaks to the deeper motivations behind the kinds of actions we need to take in response to our complex social and environmental crisis. The development of eco-persons is connected with the qualitative measure of meaningful relationships, and not simply with quantitative measures of carbon, money, or degrees in temperature. Who we are is more than what we do. It’s this something more that lies at the intersection of the ecological civilization movement and holistic human development, and serves as the theme for the 13th International Forum on Ecological Civilization.
The forum will bring together creative academics, non-profit leaders, governmental officials, and leading activists to explore new models of holistic human development in the transition toward ecological civilization.
Possible topics include but are not limited to:
- What does it mean to be human in the context of ecological civilization?
- How might holistic human development advance the movement toward ecological civilization?
- What changes are needed to promote human dignity for all people?
- How might economic systems be restructured for the flourishing of all life?
- What is the role of family and community in promoting healthy human relationships?
- How might human relations to nature be reconceived for mutual well-being?
- What does it mean to be an “eco-person” and how can we cultivate this quality?
- Can systems of governance, law, and justice, be restructured for holistic human development? If so, what will these new systems look like and how do we begin the transition now?
- How should systems of education be structured to enhance holistic human development?
- Is religion and/or spirituality necessary for holistic human development?
Call for Papers:
If you would like to present at this international gathering, please submit a 500 word abstract outlining your proposal. The deadline to submit your abstract is December 31, 2018. Proposals should be sent via the online form here.
The 2nd International Youth Forum on Ecological Civilization will bring together students, activists, and leaders from around the world to explore new models of holistic human development in the transition toward ecological civilization. The forum in formatted as a discussion. If you would like to participate in this Int’l Youth Forum, please contact Dr. John Becker at email@example.com.